Monday, February 13, 2012

Eating with restrictions, while away for work...or modern day gathering

This is the third attempt to try and put down words about tripping it while on a diet.  Each time I have tried the editing software didn't save (I clearly pressed the save button,) I had some muddled thinking going on, or adult ADD kicked in a I would write a sentence and then find something more interesting like pictures of baby otters or kittens and puppies to look at, it happens.
Anyway lets start with my past post of packing for a weekend.  That was easy since I was driving and could easily pack whatever I need, I had access to a car, so I could drive to a store, or I didn't need to refrigerate anything.  So this is a little different, I am flying. Flying proves a little more difficult since well you have limited space, you can't bring your own liquids, and there is no refrigeration.  Also when driving I have a fairly quick trip so whatever I have goes right into a fridge if need be.  Also when driving I know where I am going, can easily go to a grocery store to pick up anything additional needed.  This time I was going to Ohio.  While I go to this location a few times a year and know where some things are it is still difficult when it comes to meals, esp meals provided by my company.  In the past they have consisted of a lot of bread, carbs, fried, and very few veggies.  This was snacks as well as meals.  Even if we went out for a meal it was very limited to pasta, fried meat of some sort or a veggie option which was usually pasta with veggie sauce.  So this time I made sure I was heard in terms of meals.  I was going to make a fuss and I was determined to eat well.  I am pleased to announce while the meals lacked flavor and protein, they were a good effort!  I told our coordinator what I could eat, and I got just that.  Salad and meat, salad and meat, steamed veggies and chicken.  I am so glad she works as hard as she does, she is a saint, it sometimes is like coordinating a meal for 30 kids and you know what I am the kid that "won't eat that."  At this point it't not "I won't eat that" but more in the realm of "I can't eat that." It worked I got what I needed and realized how much I miss protein and how much my body missed the satiety of the meat I usually eat in the morning, or the salad I make up for breakfast.
When eating away from home for a week I get creative and I start hunting and gathering.  I have read it on so many blogs,  you need to flexible and creative with your eating, but when the restaurant is also flexible it is so much the more better.  When they will willingly substitute the yummy brussels sprouts for the potato gratin, I VERY pleased (esp when they have Hendriks Gin as a bar choice).  When they will let me order the steak special with asparagus off the Pub menu because everything on the menu they provided is full bread bread and more bread, I am happy.  That is how you keep customers.  They way you don't keep customers is to whisper under your breathe about a person diet, or just flat out say "NO - can NOT do that."  Really, as a non-business person, that is not a way to run a business, but having worked in a restaurant, (fast-food Italian, but we cooked everything to order) I will say be flexible, cater to the customer because that customer is almost guaranteed not only to come back (if the food was good,)  but also tell a few people, or even will tell a few people either via the internet (blogs, like this one or other social media) or word of mouth.  So I want to do a shout out to two restaurants in Wooster, OH who were very accommodating as well and yummy.
First the Wooster Inn, which let me order the Steak pub special and let me have some veggie instead of the potato (thanks!)  The other actually had a pleasing Gluten-Free Menu and on there website they list the farms where their food comes from!  So good and local, my favorite! So South Market Bistro you get 5 thumbs up for being yummy, creative, flexible, accommodating, friendly, and well priced!  I will be looking forward to coming back this summer for some more delicious food (did I mention the Brussels Sprouts were my favorite!!!)

No comments: