Sunday, October 14, 2012

Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna"


A meatless meal WHAT?!?!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna...maybe

So I just want to say that I love meat and if you have read my blog and my brush with Veganism and being a Vegetarian you know how unsuccessful it was and how it just blew chunks.  So this is the first time in a LONG time that I have made a meat-less meal.  It all began with a spaghetti squash which I got in our CSA share.  I was not happy because every other time I have tried to make or eat this bland gross squash I have been disappointed and disappointed is putting it lightly.  I had tried everything from baking it with butter and salt and pepper. Roasting it with EVOO, microwaving it, putting maple syrup on it.  So I looked up some recipes and put a few things together from them and came up with this.  I only use a few ingredients so it pretty easy too!  As always you can substitute as you need! I was thinking about adding some sausage or pepperoni the next time I make it.
Ingredients:
1 Spaghetti Squash 
1 Jar of sauce or 4 cups of homemade marinara sauce
2 cups of sliced portobello mushrooms
8 oz of fresh mozzarella (sliced)
1TBSP of dried oregano
 salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
9x11 rectangular pan (whatever size you have) 




Directions:
1. Roast the Spaghetti Squash (Oven at 400, cut in half lengthwise pour about 2 TBSP of EVOO on the squash between the two halves, Salt and pepper to taste Roast for about an hour or until the edges are browned.
2. Scoop out the Spaghetti from the inside of the squash into a bowl, that is exactly what it looks like, noodles, so this is going to act as noodles.


3. Brown the mushrooms in a little butter
4. Start layering the lasagna


     Start with a little sauce on the bottom of the pan
     next add a layer of squash
     add a layer of sauce
     tear up the slices of mozzarella and put on the sauce
     sprinkle oregano on top of the cheese


5. Repeat and end with cheese or sauce (your choosing)

                                     

6. Bake covered for 30 min
7. Uncover and bake for 5-10 min depending on tenderness of squash.


Enjoy!



No comments: