Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Food for thought

So I have been on this "Paleo-Diet" for about 8 weeks now, actually 7 since I didn't follow it the first two weeks of the Edge Revolution, and I feel good. I actually feel good, no complaints about not eating enough or not feeling hungry or what not, I feel good. I also have found that it is a good diet to experiment with different recipes. I love creating new recipes with the foods in my fridge (sometimes) and sometimes they come out GREAT and sometimes, well lets just say some hungry pigeons or seagulls somewhere in that great dump are getting a good meal. Anyways, so we have a farm share and during this farm share we get some veggies which are great when we first get them and then we say "what the hell am I going to do with this??" or "Cabbage??? AGAIN???" Or "really what else can we do with radishes besides salad." So I was making baked cabbage one time (which came out awesome) and decided that I wanted to try some kind of warm cabbage slaw or warm cabbage salad. So I did it. I like to do it on nights when I cook for myself since then I have no one to tell me its gross...or I can just dispose of the evidence of my horrible creation. So tonight I did, I made a warm cabbage salad, and it wasn't that bad this is the basic recipe, since by chance I had all the ingredients...By the way, I usually don't have fresh cranberries, I just happen to get them from a good friend who owns a cranberry bog.

Warm Cabbage Salad:
1/2 head of cabbage slice thin
2 carrots (match sticked)
1 whole gala apple (cored and sliced)
1 broccoli stalk (not the floret here)
1 cup of whole fresh cranberries
chicken stock (optional sub. for whatever yummy liquid you have)
apple cider (hard is what I had)
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 TBSP White wine vinegar


mix veggies together in a bowl and toss with sesame oil and vinegar
add cranberries to about a 1/4 cup of stock (they will boil and pop and sizzle) and cover for about 5 min or so then add the veggies and apple.
Cook down for a few min, add the cider and stir and cook and stir and cook until tender.

Drain that sucker (if there is left over liquid) and use the liquid with pork to make a nice little reduction.

I ate this with some yummy pock chops, it is good, the cranberries defiantly add some nice dimension to the taste.

Enjoy!

No comments: