Friday, January 16, 2009

The GPS is somtimes wrong...but most of the time it's right.

This is an email I sent to my fellow consultants the other day telling of my trials and fights that I have with my Garmin GPS...I love the thing and MOST of the time it takes me in the right direction...but sometimes...MAN IS IT WRONG! The ending is a work related thing since we get 55 cents a mile...I believe if my calculations were right that is 3114 miles time .55 equals...$1712.70 that would have been a nice chunk of change...LOL and I can't seem to get the screen shot right...bah

"For all you who use a GPS here is my most recent story of trying to avoid the tolls of New Jersey/New York…of which there are many, esp in my parts:
I decided to set the feature on my GPS to “no tolls” while coming back into NYC from New Jersey, just to see where it would take me and see if I could avoid paying an 8 dollar toll to cross a bridge. If any of you have been across the Hudson River from NJ to NY there is NO way of avoiding paying a toll, all bridges and tunnels have a toll. So I was driving and usually these thing will put you just over a bridge with a toll…not this time, this time the GPS took me past the George Washington Bridge…and told me to keep going. Curious as to where the GPS was taking me I pulled into the Parkway gas station that came up and clicked through the directions to see the “toll free, fastest route” and here is the approximation of the rt…give or take:

Palisades Parkway north (until you hit 84)
Take i-84 to Scranton, PA follow until I-76 to I-70, this will take me to Columbus, OH, which eventually will take me to Indianapolis, IN
The you follow I-65 up to I-80 which takes me to Des Moines
I get onto I-35 to Minneapolis, MN and then to Duluth, MN
After this I follow the road along Lake Superior (I forget what this rd was called) and eventually end up going through customs in Canada (I didn’t even have my passport) Go along to Ottawa, Montreal, and eventually come to I-91 in VT where I head south through VT, Mass, and CT end up on the Merritt/Hutchinson Parkway between CT and NY, and I am home…honestly I guess it was better I paid the 8 dollar toll then to waste gas and get the mileage for that, I could only image the reaction for the Mileage report on my expense sheet…"

No comments: